M.O. Yuksel is the award-winning author of IN MY MOSQUE (illus. Hatem Aly), and ONE WISH: Fatima al-Fihri and the World’s Oldest University, (illus. Mariam Quraishi), both published by HarperCollins. Her forthcoming books include RAMADAN KAREEM, and SAMI’S SPECIAL GIFT: An Eid Al-Adha Story. Yuksel loves writing about diverse cultures and little-known historical figures. When not writing, she’s usually on the soccer field cheering for her kids, or traveling to exotic places, and immersing herself in the local culture. Visit her online at www.moyuksel.com.
– American Library Association Notable Book
– School Library Journal Best Book
– Junior Library Guild Gold Standard selection
– CCBC 2022 Best Choice
– Notable Books for a Global Society
– Anna Dewdney Honor Book
– English Association Nonfiction Picture Book Award
– Texas Library Association Texas Topaz Nonfiction Gem Award
– Virginia Readers’ Choice Award
– Starred Reviews from School Library Journal, and Publisher’s Weekly
– Featured in USA Today, PBS.org, Kirkus, Horn Book, BookPage, BookRiot, and Chicago Parents Magazine
3 Fun Facts
1. I lived on three continents and crossed two multiple times in one day! (Hint-hint: Istanbul, the city that spans two continents).
2. I speak three languages – English, Turkish, Uzbek, and understand several – Spanish, Azeri, Kazak, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uyghur.
3. If I had my way, I’d eat dessert first at every meal (but don’t tell my kids!).