M.O. Yuksel is the award-winning author of IN MY MOSQUE (illus. Hatem Aly), and ONE WISH: Fatima al-Fihri and the World’s Oldest University, (illus. Mariam Quraishi), both published by HarperCollins. Her forthcoming books include RAMADAN KAREEM, and SAMI’S SPECIAL GIFT: An Eid Al-Adha Story. Yuksel loves writing about diverse cultures and little-known historical figures. When not writing, she’s usually on the soccer field cheering for her kids, or traveling to exotic places, and immersing herself in the local culture. Visit her online at www.moyuksel.com.
– American Library Association Notable Book
– School Library Journal Best Book
– Junior Library Guild Gold Standard selection
– CCBC 2022 Best Choice
– Notable Books for a Global Society
– Anna Dewdney Honor Book
– English Association Nonfiction Picture Book Award
– Texas Library Association Texas Topaz Nonfiction Gem Award
– Virginia Readers’ Choice Award
– Starred Reviews from School Library Journal, and Publisher’s Weekly
– Featured in USA Today, PBS.org, Kirkus, Horn Book, BookPage, BookRiot, and Chicago Parents Magazine
3 Fun Facts
1. I lived on three continents and crossed two multiple times in one day! (Hint-hint: Istanbul, the city that spans two continents).
2. I speak three languages – English, Turkish, Uzbek, and understand several – Spanish, Azeri, Kazak, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uyghur.
3. If I had my way, I’d eat dessert first at every meal (but don’t tell my kids!).
Hyewon Yum is an author and illustrator of many picture books, including Saturday Is Swimming Day, which won a Charlotte Zolotow Honor. She has two sons who hate haircuts. She also doesn’t like haircuts, but she’s never told her kids that. She lives in Brooklyn with her roaring family. www.hyewonyum.com
3 Fun Facts
1. Doesn’t like getting a haircut
2. Was pooped by birds, TWICE!
3. Bad at grammar(her son told her)
Brigit Young is the author of the middle grade novels Worth a Thousand Words, The Prettiest, and Bright. The Prettiest was featured on Seventeen Magazine’s 50 Books for Teens That You Won’t Be Able to Put Down and NBC News’ 9 Books to Help Young Girls Build a Positive Image. Brigit has also published poetry in multiple literary journals including The Common, 2 River View, and Burrow Press. She lives with her family in New Jersey where she gardens, plays pretend with her toddler, and teaches creative writing workshops to kids. brigityoung.com
Awards/Honors – Bank Street Best Books
– Starred reviews
– Chicago Public Library Best Books
– Italy’s Andersen Award Best Book for 12-14 year olds
– Junior Library Guild selection
3 Fun Facts
1. I have a crested gecko named June Dolly (her middle name is in honor of Dolly Parton).
2. I met my husband when we acted together in a short kissing scene on a soap opera!
3. When I was a kid I was obsessed with orcas and did school reports on them pretty much every year. I wanted to be an orca trainer or researcher, and to this day I dream of seeing one in the wild!
Salina Yoon is a Geisel Honor-winning author/illustrator of novelty books, early readers, and picture books, including her beloved seven-book Penguin series that begins with PENGUIN AND PINECONE, celebrating its 10th year with a special edition releasing Nov 1, 2022. PENGUIN AND PENELOPE, the latest in the Penguin series, releases on Sept 6, 2022, which features another heartwarming story celebrating unlikely friendships, the challenges of growing up, and finding your own way.
Other awards include the Award for Excellence in a Picture Book for FOUND, the New York State Reading Association Charlotte Award for PENGUIN AND PINECONE, Maryland Blue Crab Young Reader Award for DUCK DUCK PORCUPINE, and many more. You can read more about Salina and her books at: www.salinayoon.com
Most recent award was the 2018 Geisel Honor for MY KITE IS STUCK AND OTHER STORIES (A Duck Duck Porcupine! Book)
2018 Honor Award: Anna Dewdney Read-Together Award for BE A FRIEND.
2017 Maryland Blue Crab Young Reader Award in the Beginner Fiction category: DUCK DUCK PORCUPINE!
2017 VA Readers’ Choice, FOUND
3 Fun Facts
Penguins have been following me my whole life. Here’s 3 pieces of evidence:
1. My first job was working as a frozen yogurt dispenser, at Penguin’s Frozen Yogurt!
2. My first major book deal was with Penguin Publishing (now called Penguin Random House).
3. My most well known character is Penguin, from the Penguin series!
Jane Yolen, often called “the Hans Christian Andersen of America,” is the author of more than 350 books, ranging from picture books and baby board books, through middle grade fiction, poetry collections, nonfiction, novels, graphic novels, story collections, and even cookbooks . Her books and stories have won many awards, including two Nebulas, a World Fantasy Award, a Caldecott, the Golden Kite, three Mythopoeic awards, two Christopher Medals, nomination for the National Book Award, and Jewish Book Award. She also won the Kerlan Award and the Catholic Library’s Regina Medal. Six colleges and universities have given her honorary doctorates. www.janeyolen.com
3 Fun Facts
1. I live on a farm called Phoenix Farm for three seasons of the year and in a house called Wayside in Scotland in the summer.
2. All three of my grown children work in children’s books.
3. I hate Brussels Sprouts and love bacon.
Lisa Yee’s debut, Millicent Min, Girl Genius, won the prestigious Sid Fleischman Humor Award. Her 17 novels include Warp Speed, Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time, the Bobby series, and several American Girl books including the 2016 Lea Clark series. Lisa’s books have been named a NPR Best Summer Read, Sports Illustrated Kids Hot Summer Read, and USA Today Critics’ Top Pick.
The Kidney Hypothetical is Lisa’s latest novel for teens. She is the author of the DC Super Hero Girls middle grade novel series featuring Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and the most recent, Batgirl at Super Hero High. Visit Lisa at www.lisayee.com.
3 Fun Facts
1. My collection of Winnie-the-Poohs is in a museum in Canada.
2. I always write my endings first.
3. Ate grubs as part of research for a book.
Hudson Childrens’ Book Festival
215 Harry Howard Avenue
Hudson, NY 12534